Roatan is a must see island within the Caribbean. Our family vacation to Roatan has become a regular for us and we wouldn’t want it any other way. Home to the second biggest barrier reef, some of the most beautiful underwater sights you’ll ever lay your eyes on, crystal clear 80 degree water, white sand beaches and a deliciously strong drink called the Monkey LaLa.. I promise to provide a cheater recipe later.
Our family loves to scuba dive its truly become a family affair. All the kids in our family including the spouses have been required to get our PADI (scuba diving certification) Were pretty sure its a form of hazing or initiation to be able to marry into the family. If you love to dive or are looking to complete your certification we know the absolute BEST guy on the island! Tom- A Canadian turned Honduran owns the Blue Lagoon Dive Shop on West End.
Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link.
If you’re not a diver don’t worry, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy the islands beauty. One of our favorite things to do is relax on the beautiful beaches and swim in the crystal clear water. If you enjoy snorkeling and swimming there isn’t a better place to do it. The reef is full of the most vibrant fish. After a good swim we always refresh ourselves with one of those Monkey LaLas I was telling you about. Holy YUM! There are so many beach bars on west end you truly cant go wrong.
Monkey LaLa Drink Recipe: 1oz Baileys 1oz Kahlua 1/2oz Vodka 1/2oz Rum 2oz Cream of Coconut splash of cream or milk or coconut milk Optional Items: Chocolate Syrup swirled on the inside of glass & 1 banana blended with ingredients **Pour all ingredients in a blender with about 15 ice cubes & Enjoy!**
Where to stay:
This is our favorite place on West End which overlooks the ocean, I’m pretty sure this is a little slice of heaven. We stay here every time and wont be changing anytime soon!
This location is 5 minutes from the west end beaches and close to all of the beach bars. Plus look at that pool, this house is a dream.
Where to eat:
There are so many wonderful places to eat in Roatan Honduras you truly cant go wrong. Here are some recommendations for West End
- IBAGARI- Super swanky beachside dinner spot, high end food, show up early like 5:15 for daily sunset champagne toast! Great Selfie spot, its beautiful! Make a Reservation for a romantic dinner online
- Roatan Oasis- Creative and changing menu for foodies, super cool spot too. On the corner before you get to West End.
- Argentinian Grill – Great for the carnivore!
- Beachers- Live music on Saturdays and good Lobster deals
- Bananarama- Pizza and great beach spot! Rent Paddleboards here
- Paradise Beach resort- Sunset Bar, ask for Alberto, great Beach Spot
- Infinity- Nice bar and resort
- Grand Roatan- Nice bar and best beach for photos/snorkeling
- West Bay Mall- Has a great Deli for Sandies and light goods
- LaLas- Good for vegetarian fare, not open often
- Celestes- Dine with Parrotts! Great for Brunch or Dinner
- Nice and Spicy- Good food, intimate spot
- Jave Vine- Morning Coffee and Excellent baked goods!
Our Must Do List:
- West End- A must do! take snorkel gear and spend a beach day and try the “eyesore” if you are good swimmers, its a sailboat that has been anchored for rope swinging and climbing on in the bay- Super fun. Make sure and go for the nightlife too, Great shops for local flavor and fun bars.
- Sundowners- Local bar with a great sunset.
- Gingers- good dinner spot right on the bay with double views. Be sure and have a Gelato at the shop nextdoor!
- Wandering the shops and enjoying local food is fun here.
- Zipline! I know it seems touristy, but the elevation on the island takes it to another level!
- The Mayan Jungle Zoo- Victor has some amazing animals!
- Horseback riding- Located at Anthony’s Key
- Anthony’s Key- Oldest Resort on the Island, has a Dolphin Experience that is really special. They are conservationists, so they really care for their animals and the Museum is interesting to wander through.
- Carambola Garden walk/hike- Sounds boring, but its a fun hike with an amazing overlook of the island and ocean! – BRING BUG SPRAY!